Über den Autor
Quaas S, Nölken R
Tilted OsseoSpeed™ Profile EV Implants – a case series
To idealically follow nature’s contour the OsseoSpeed™ Profile EV is specifically designed for efficient use of existing bone in sloped ridge situations.4 In a retrospective analysis of CBCT scans the sloped contour of the alveolar bone was found to be much more common than previously anticipated. Indication for implants with a sloped marginal shoulder contour was identified in extraction sockets at 48,1% and in healed situations at 47,7%. The sloping can occur in any direction, even reversed sloped situations are possible. Clinical indications for implants with a sloped shoulder contour have yet to be described.1,2
Reasons for therapy
A fundamental concept and the biological rationale in dental implantology is the preservation of peri-implant tissues, especially the support of soft tissue structures to maintain a natural and esthetic contour.3 Exploiting existing bone in situations with a sloped ridge reduces the need for lateral bone augmentation. Transforming a sloped situation into a wider plain situation, suitable for a flat shoulder contour at the level of the higher bony aspect can only be achieved with great surgical effort. Placing an implant partially subcrestal leaves marginal and interproximal bone unsupported and will result in its resorption.4
To take advantage of existing crestal alveolar bone OsseoSpeed™ Profile EV implants were tilted up to 30° depending on the direction of the sloping of the implant cavity.
- Ahlskog L, Nölken R, Wagner W. Radiographic indication for implants with a sloped shoulder contour: I. Extraction sites; unpublished 2017.
- Ahlskog L, Nölken R, Wagner W. Radiographic indication for implants with a sloped shoulder contour: II. Healed sites; unpublished 2017.
- Nölken R, Mörgel M, Oberhansl F, Pausch T, Kunkel M, Wagner W. Clinical and esthetic outcome with immediate insertion and provisionalization with or without connective tissue grafting in presence of mucogingival recessions; unpublished 2017.
- Dentsply Sirona Implants. OsseoSpeed™ Profile EV, Follow nature’s contour. 2015.
- Slight tilting of the OsseoSpeed™ Profile EV to support a prominent mesial bony papilla in immediate implant placement.
- Medium tilting to match healed sloping situations in close relationship to teeth in partially edentulous jaws.
- Tilting up to 90° in towards distal sloping situations, or 180° in reversed sloping situations possible.
- Reduction in need and complexity of simultaneous lateral augmentation in relation to the height variance of the sloping marginal shoulder of the implant.
- Further clinical investigations are needed to identify extended clinical indication for implants with sloped marginal shoulder contour.